Jan 24, 2009

Traveling is Great!

NOT really. And No, Chinese people arent great, neither are Laotians, and yes...neither are americans, especially me, BUT....
(yes, i am going to take this opportunity to vent!)

I crossed the border back into China from Laos. Start riding the Toll Road to Jinghong, my main destination for a while, and the "no bicycle" sign is posted. I am fearful that the police will send me back, so I ride back into town, go to the bus station and ask for a ticket.
The bus office attendent (they are ALL indifferent, as many Chinese are) says Mei You, meaning she doesnt have one. I am in disbelief. They always have available tickets for short rides. She says something, i dont understand, she doesnt look at me, answer me, nothing...which is the NORM. This thing happens alot, and when u are a foreigner, there is no attempt on the other side to try to explain ANYTHING at all. NONE. This has happened so many times in different circumstances. And its just not ME. EVERY traveler I have spoken to, espeically those that have lived here in China for a while, cant stop AGreeing with me and affirming this.
SO, for the first time i finally got teed off. The lady starts helping the guy next to me, who by the way, generally always steps in front of you when u are in line for ANYTHING ( I now step in front of everyone else----aggressiveness is the Chinese way of life). So the guy puts his money on the counter and I GRAB IT! I tell them I want an answer why I cant get a ticket.
YES, YES, I realize this is futile, but it makes me feel GOOD. And thats all that matters in these situations.
So after I mad dog everyone and give them a few unflattering words re: their business practices' i leave. And yes, it is reassuring to me that NO ONE understands my A-whole ness. Thats probably why i feel so comfortable doing it.

Okay, so now i am pissed, i started riding back on the rode and ask the coppers at the station if i can ride my bike on the road. They say yes...Comforting right? NO!
I quickly remember that during most of my traveling, i have run into everyone with what i call "chronic wrong answer disease" and they exhibit the symptoms bountifully. What is this? This is a disease that everyone who has it will give u a wrong answer for whatever question u ask...i.e. where is X street? Is the road flat? Is there a hotel here? etc.

So i turn back to the bus depot, but this time, i go in the back way where the buses are, under two security bars, with the guard following me telling me to go to the front. I go to the buses and the people standing there and ask which bus is going to jinghong, with hands pointing to several different buses (OF COURSE----it seems this town has had an outbreak)...by this time the security guard is behind me and I yell out "ting boo dong", which gets a laugh out of everyone, and the guard then points me to the correct bus. I am somewhat relieved, but, remembering how i treated the station staff, i am afraid they will not sell me a ticket, and it is CLEAR there are many open seats on the bus. I hand money to the driver, he goes inside, gets me a ticket, and waa laa!!! DONE. BUT now i am wondering why the hell they wouldnt sell me a ticket in the first place, and and almost more pissed that they sold me a ticket than if they hadnt. OH well, who cares, i'm on the bus.
At least they dont discriminate against bikes like they do in Laos....oh yeah, dont get me started!!!

Did i tell you about how the mini-buses kept passing me up, even though I already had a ticket. in fact, i was the FIRST one at the bus station. Anyways, maybe another time.
I am happy to be in china, though. My panniers, chinese made, have been falling apart every other day. I have been using fishing line and zip ties to hold it together. Today, got it all sewed up and new zippers for about 60 cents!!! Love china. See, its a love/hate thingy.

And Laos was much more expensive than I thought. ITs poorer than china, but u wouldnt know it by the prices. I think because of the excess of tourists...not sure, but double pricing is the norm. That kinda crap really burns me up. But only because when one is a long traveler and not independently wealthy, budget is important. IF i only was traveling for a week or two, then u dont care about blowing extra money, because it is cheap compared to vacationing in europe, or america. alot of the people were cool, roads were rarely used by vehicles, nice to ride through, at least in the North. Nice kinda relaxing laid back type of mood there. Less chaotic than hustle and bustle of china, although Jinghong doesnt feel this way so far.

Well i feel good venting...thank you.

1 comment:

Yahooshua said...

Don't give them an inch Jim!

Racists? or Daves? Did they say something like: didn't you notice the big wall? Go back to america and build your own.