Dec 31, 2008

The Start

So after 12 hours on a bus to my destination point, with chain smoking drivers, motion sickness people next to me, no stops for bathrooms, traveling over dirt and cobblestone roads for the majority of the trip...I Made It!

But the bus drivers were great. There usually are a couple, plus a helper person.
The drivers switch half way, and one sat next to me and kept calling me Lao Wei (foreigner, in a polite sense), and slapping my leg with his hand, and sometimes letting it sit there. An unnerving feeling, but nonetheless I knew he was just being a very friendly host. All in all, it was quite fun, with snow and cars and trucks jammed up at the mountain pass, due to everyone putting on chains at the last moment i guess...at let me assure you, there is no where to pull over on these roads to put on chains. Lots of guys on motos with chains being the opportunistic salesperson for those that forgot their chains.

My self portait.

Panzihua

One of my many rooms. This was a dorm room with three beds, but no one was in the room. quite nice, i think i paid 2 bucks for this one.
My bus companions on the long way there.
The now covered pass.

No comments: